“Participate” is a loose term in this case, since the event was set up so that it was almost impossible to actually run the entire 5K (too many people, too confusing of a course, in the dark). Which was fine, since I hadn’t been running since before all of the heat waves.
So the glow in the dark 5K dance party wasn’t so much of a race but the epitome of what is so terrible about NYC:
- whenever you find something fun to do, so do hundreds of other people
- poor logistics can make an activity way less fun
- no one is ever paying attention to where they’re going or who they’re running into
- giant crowds of sweaty people
- not nearly enough bathrooms
Of course, you take the bad with the good, and the fact that we got to jog/walk through the streets/parking lot at Citi Field at night for charity sort of made up for the frustrating parts of the event.
Except for the lack of adequate restrooms; that’s a serious deficiency any way you look at it.